3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding a 4l60e. I purchased TCI rebuild kit that came with reybustos clutches and steels (not z-pack). I'm looking for a clearance of around .30. only way I seem to get that is by leaving out 1 clutch and 1 steel.

Question 1: would it be okay to leave out the 1 clutch and 1 steel?
Question 2: would it be okay to start with steel end with clutch? Or vice versa? (That's the only way I get the .30 clearance)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im rebuilding a 4l60e. I purchased TCI rebuild kit that came with reybustos clutches and steels (not z-pack). I'm looking for a clearance of around .30. only way I seem to get that is by leaving out 1 clutch and 1 steel.

Question 1: would it be okay to leave out the 1 clutch and 1 steel?
Question 2: would it be okay to start with steel end with clutch? Or vice versa? (That's the only way I get the .30 clearance)
You won't have as many square inches, so the other clutches will do more work. Guys more experienced than me should chime in.

I've recently learned about 1545 Allisons in the military deuce and want to go more surface area than less, which requires thinner high performance... more frictions and steels, not less.. My answer is to look into the very high performance clutches that are thinner and buy a set for that particular clutch. Especially if it's a 1/1 or overdrive, torque is high.

I have just acquired a 98 Pontiac Bonneville wreck SSEi for a mid engine project and could be facing something similar when I rebuild mine. I'v located replacements for my Allison to solve it's high gear weakness, so I would guess the racing guys would have some available for the 4l60e.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts