3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys!! I’m new here. But I’ve come to ask for some advice because I don’t want to give up on my car. I have a 2004 Monte Carlo supercharged. I was on the highway and my notice smoke out the back. Sure enough I pulled over and crankshaft seal was gushing oil. Luckily I turned it off and got it towed home. I took it to my mechanic a few days later and had him installed a felpro crankshaft seal. Worked great for about 2 weeks and it started to gush out again. The motor sounds healthy and recently just passed smog. I was wondering what could be causing this issue? Should I try a different brand? Thank you guys!!

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
Something is either getting installed wrong and/or vacuum/boost routing got mixed up with PCV stuff somehow. It's very abnormal so there's obviously one of the "not me's" guilty of doing something wrong in the history of the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something is either getting installed wrong and/or vacuum/boost routing got mixed up with PCV stuff somehow. It's very abnormal so there's obviously one of the "not me's" guilty of doing something wrong in the history of the car.
This makes sense now. Thank you so much for the reply. I just got my vacuum line redone because I was getting a check engine light. Maybe they routed it all wrong. I’m going to have to look at that. Is there a diagram for the vacuum lines?

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
Ya, google it quick and a few diagrams should come up. That's what I'd do if I was going to post it here. Feel free to share what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I finally got to checking the routing for vacuum and boost. Everything looks perfect!! Nothing was mixed up. So now I turn back to look at the crankshaft seal. Should I replace for a gm one? I replaced it with a felpro one. Should the crank pulley be replaced? Or is the motor just done? Getting to much blow by. I appreciate your responses.

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
You may want to check compression across all the cylinders, and maybe try a leakdown test, along with a coolant pressure test. A garage should have the tools to accomplish this.

Felpro is a pretty standard replacement part, and the pulley would only be an issue if it was wobbling and causing it to not be smooth against the seal. You're apparently getting pressure down there from somewhere above the pistons, you just need to find out where.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts