3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of upgrading my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, she spun a rod bearing and developed a knock. I was going to fix it but before I could go and buy a used short block to replace the bottom end my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 mandibular cancer. This year has been hell on everyone and seems to wanna kick you when you're down. The love of my life passed away just 2 months after being told she had carcinoma. I'm praying 21 will be better for everyone however I know it will not be for me. The only thing i feel i can do is ask, beg, barter, and trade for a used short block. My plans are to swap out the bottom end and then proceed to work on my wifes 87CiViC.
I can do all the work myself but I really need a great deal on a good used short block for as cheap as possible shipped to Portland Oregon. I'm broke after funeral and doctors but could come up with something. Anyone have one or know of someone that does or would like to help find one for me please let me know.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
Sorry to hear that, man, and I hope you and your family get through these extra tough times as well as possible.

Replacing an engine on a shoe-string was something I did a bunch years ago. The resources I used were local u-pull yards and www.car-part.com listings of yards who have them in inventory. Local yards are going to be your best bet for sub-$200-300 engines with an afternoon of work to get it out. They'll even give ~$50 for your core (be sure you only turn in parts that you get on the new one). Removing the heads would save yard cost, but new gaskets/bolts to use your original heads might be a wash.

There may be some for sale on FB and Craigslist, too, so search your region's sites. Shipping engines costs $100-200, typically, so you can avoid that if you find something nearby.

Let me know if you need help hunting online. If there's a package deal/part-out that myself or anyone wanted to split cost on, that may be possible, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts