3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - my mom drives a 2006 Lacrosse CXL with the 3800 V6. She purchased the car two years ago with only 58,000 miles on it. It now has 70,000 miles on it. Previous owner was an older woman who wasn't able to drive anymore, but the car was well taken care of. Last week she said it started making a knocking noise when driving, which gets louder when the air conditioning is turned on. She took it to a local mechanic who confirmed there is a knocking noise coming from the lower end of the motor. He removed the accessory belt and the noise is still present, but not as loud as when the air conditioning is turned on. He is adding an oil additive to see if it helps with the issue, but said if it doesn't it would like require the lower end of the motor to be torn apart to troubleshoot further. I have heard these 3800 V6 motors are ultra reliable. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hello - my mom drives a 2006 Lacrosse CXL with the 3800 V6. She purchased the car two years ago with only 58,000 miles on it. It now has 70,000 miles on it. Previous owner was an older woman who wasn't able to drive anymore, but the car was well taken care of. Last week she said it started making a knocking noise when driving, which gets louder when the air conditioning is turned on. She took it to a local mechanic who confirmed there is a knocking noise coming from the lower end of the motor. He removed the accessory belt and the noise is still present, but not as loud as when the air conditioning is turned on. He is adding an oil additive to see if it helps with the issue, but said if it doesn't it would like require the lower end of the motor to be torn apart to troubleshoot further. I have heard these 3800 V6 motors are ultra reliable. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?
Humm, I wonder if the inner portion of the BALANCER has gone bad(sometimes the rubber breaks loose and this can cause knocking noise.) Just a guess, but you should take another look at the balancer to see if any portions of the rubber has come loose... Mr goodwrench

1 - 2 of 2 Posts