3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help figuring out where this plugs back into as I am not sure where it goes
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light Automotive tire
e
I am also experiencing symptoms of a pcv valve failure(which I have already replaced) after replacing the upper and lower intake manifold gasket’s and also need help fixing along with my radiator fans not turning on when I start my car after I have replaced them

·
Administrator
1,470 Posts
A bit to unpack here, and you are making some odd assumptions.

That wire either goes to an EVAP solenoid, AIR pump, or something else in that area ( I can look it up later, if you don't find it).

A PCV valve is not a common fail point, and is a pretty stable item. If your o-rings are seated properly, there's not much cause for issue there. When there's some crankcase pressure under it, it'll push up the spring and allow it into the intake, otherwise it sits there happily doing nothing under the MAP sensor.

Are you saying you have a vac leak somewhere, or the engine runs odd after you had it all apart. I can believe something got missed, or misaligned when reassembled that might need another look. It happens to all of us from time to time... Teflon on lower bolts, RTV in corners of lower gaskets, properly aligned all upper o-rings and plastic parts, EGR tubes sealed, etc... Could be anything.

Your radiator fans shouldn't turn on until you're almost overheating, unless you've adjusted PCM settings to lower the trigger temps. Have you driven around and watched the gauge to see where the coolant stabilizes at? It should sit around the 195 stock t-stat value unless changed, and may go about 10-15deg higher in traffic until fans start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit to unpack here, and you are making some odd assumptions.

That wire either goes to an EVAP solenoid, AIR pump, or something else in that area ( I can look it up later, if you don't find it).

A PCV valve is not a common fail point, and is a pretty stable item. If your o-rings are seated properly, there's not much cause for issue there. When there's some crankcase pressure under it, it'll push up the spring and allow it into the intake, otherwise it sits there happily doing nothing under the MAP sensor.

Are you saying you have a vac leak somewhere, or the engine runs odd after you had it all apart. I can believe something got missed, or misaligned when reassembled that might need another look. It happens to all of us from time to time... Teflon on lower bolts, RTV in corners of lower gaskets, properly aligned all upper o-rings and plastic parts, EGR tubes sealed, etc... Could be anything.

Your radiator fans shouldn't turn on until you're almost overheating, unless you've adjusted PCM settings to lower the trigger temps. Have you driven around and watched the gauge to see where the coolant stabilizes at? It should sit around the 195 stock t-stat value unless changed, and may go about 10-15deg higher in traffic until fans start.
Thanks for your help, I’m new to typing on forums in general but what you have said has gave me a lot to think about. Still haven’t found where the mysterious plug goes to as Im not having any codes being thrown and the car runs fine other then a bad radiator that Im going to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your help, I’m new to typing on forums in general but what you have said has gave me a lot to think about. Still haven’t found where the mysterious plug goes to as Im not having any codes being thrown and the car runs fine other then a bad radiator that Im going to replace.
I too have a mystery plug that is just left hanging in the rear engine area. I searched for the mating plug, but came up blank. I suspect it may have been for a factory fuel pressure regulator, as I have the Aeromotive Fuel Rails & Regulator that was installed by the previous owner, thinking the stock unit had some sort of electrical connection. Im currently away from the car for a few days, so can’t take a picture. Although your connector seems like the one I recall. My car is an 04 impala

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,470 Posts
Fuel rails don't have electrical connections, just fuel supply/return and vacuum reference.

The red 2-wire in that area is typically for the EVAP solenoid. You may also have EGR deleted based on 1st glance, which is a flat 5-wire plug that will be lonely behind the throttle body. There are occasionally AIR pumps on California-sold cars, but if yours isn't from that part of the country, or up north where block heaters are sometimes added, it's probably something basic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check to the left by the hanger loop. Its other end may have dropped down. I have same 3800 and it appears to be the same connection and mine plugs into a fitting in that area. Hope this helps. If you don't find it I can attach a photo of mine.

·
Administrator
1,470 Posts
WillieD, you're referencing the Oxygen sensor in that photo, a square 4-wire connection. If it was disconnected like his 2-wire one, the car would be very unhappy and let you know immediately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts