3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Daytona pace car 160000mi on it. When is it a good time to do tune-ups to ensure that the car will constantly run properly. Being that it is now a very rare car I want to keep it in perfect condition.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would suggest every 30,000 miles. I would also do a trans refill and filter change. Also, it's a good idea to check the brakes(pads and shoes). It's also a good thing to change the coolant. And just a general under hood inspection and drive belts...air and fuel filter also. Some will say this is a bit over the top......but if you want you ride to have longevity, do all that I mentioned. Best of luck....... Mr Goodwrench (Jake)......

·
Registered
65 Posts
While GM recommends 60-100k miles for trans fluid change, that depends a lot on how it is driven. Changing it more often certainly doesn't hurt. Definitely change the coolant per reccomendations or more often. Wouldn't hurt to give it fresh brake fluid either.
Also, look at CV boots, and check the front wheel bearing for play. If it doesn't follow grooves on the highway then they are prob ok, but doesn't hurt to inspect!

·
Registered
65 Posts
As far as "tune ups" - once upon a time, that meant changing spark plugs and servicing the rest of the ignition. Nowadays, the plugs last a long time and the rest even longer. Inspect, make sure nothing is happening to the wiring connectors and harnesses (no oil on them, nothing physically damaging them), give it good plugs when it needs them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts