3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just purchased an ultra with supercharged 3800.
When driving down the highway the engine died at 65 mph going uphill with cruise on. The engine restarted right away when I put it in neutral . Down the road a few miles the engine shuttered one time after that and has driven good sense . The car drives fine accelerates with ease lots of power. The engine doesn't miss and hits on all cylinders at all RPMs. No engine light has come on so I don't know if it's throwing any codes. I will check that when I get home.

The parts that have been replaced are new fuel pump, new ignition module, new coil packs and wires oh, and I think a new mass air flow sensor. Quite obvious there was a problem before I bought car but I own it now. Car only has 80000 miles on it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated I was thinking a crank sensor, but not sure
thanks Andrew k

·
Super Moderator
814 Posts
Best bet is to get a scantool on it that logs the data while driving, to get an idea of what is giving out as it dies. You can get an inexpensive OBDII bluetooth one online for ~$15 and use an app like Torque Pro on your phone to get some scanning done.

Beyond that, some other checks would require a bit of digging around and testing a few different things before you have to start spending anything further. (See other replies for examples ;) )

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've owned 4 3800 II cars and the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors can cause the engine to die especially when hot and not very helpfully will not normally throw any codes.

The camshaft position sensor is pretty easy to replace while the crank requires you to pull the harmonic balancer. Not a hard job, just takes a little time and a puller.

If the car dies while hot then restarts shortly (immediately or within 30 minutes) I would replace both with OEM sensors. Just from my experience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My only cheap thought is if you have the time make sure all your grounds especially connected to the battery are clean. When this happens in the future can you check the battery terminals to be cool as in a good connection. I had a Honda that would do what you talked about and the terminals looked good but the positive would be warm. Cleaned it off and never happened again. Like the responses above say I had a bad crank sensor but I would be down for 15 minutes before I could start engine not immediately like you mentioned. Unfortunately like most of us you will have to wait to see if you have a code pending before you have a starting point. Just a friendly reminder please be vigilant for wiring mishaps like a wire that intermittently grounds due to a rubbed bare spot. As far as a scanner please look at Blue driver (Amazon occasionally has it on sale for $100 since they just raised it to $120) it shows all the codes including the transmission (P1811) which in these cars can be a problem if not caught in time. Good luck! Please keep us advised so we can learn something also. Hope it does this in your driveway so you are not stranded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts