3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my supercharger, so I was thinking going to a Gen V. Leaves me room to upgrade later when I decide to upgrade it more. Car is basically stock, but since I have to replace thr supercharger anyways (impeller coating flaked off) so what mods physically will I need to go that route to make it fit and work properly? I searched but it's not entirely clear...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Didn't want to buy one of the many Gen 3's popping up in the Classifieds, or send it to the company for re-coat, huh?

#1) You will need to adapt a Northstar or LS1 throttle body and a MAF tube, since Series III 3800's have 75mm electronic TB's.
  • throttle body
  • adapter plate
  • MAF (LS1, LQ4, etc.)
  • silicone couplers
  • harness adapters for throttle position sensor and MAF, depending on what you get
  • route PCV tube from port on top of Gen V to port on TB (or whatever gives source between MAF and TB blade)
#2) The outlet of the Gen V is just about 1" longer, towards the front of the engine (pulleys), so you can either buy a matching Lower Intake Manifold (LIM) with the Gen V, or port the opening of your LIM to match the Series III gasket.
  • Note: if you have a 1997-1998, the alternator stud should be swapped to a shorter bolt that doesn't touch the Gen V (or convert to 1999+ alternator setup)
  • EVAP can either use purge valve on Gen V, or cap that and use Series II EVAP valve.
  • Vacuum routing will be nearly identical, and cap/plug un-used ports.
It's maybe a couple hour job, plus some bench work to do for preparing the TB/LIM/etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol... I was just considering that as an option. It was just a thought. I wanted to upgrade the car later and thought since I needed to redo it anyways, start here if it wasn't too big a deal. The boost is now hitting a max of like 4 - 5psi tops. So ya. It's time to swap things out. I can do all the port work myself, and can source out the pieces from pick n pull I think depending on what cars had the MAF needed. I would have to order the adapter plate and the silicone couplers from wherever online. I am gonna think about it, but honestly may stick to the gen III for now. I am gonna message the sellers and see what I can do. Those listed are canadian so that helps... Hmmmm... Or... Maybe time for a ... TURBO? haha... I see your sig and now drooling a bit. That's prob the way I would go if IU decide to mod this car big. Future plans for this car is just that. Turn it into a huge grandpa sleeper I can take to the strip and race. This will be race car. I don't wanna mod the GN, so this is the one. But for now Maybe I will just GenIII it and wait till I turbo later. I appreciate the help you have given me. I slowly finished the LIM gasket job and the car runs great other than the boost issue. I originally bought this car as a donor for the motor to put in the Reatta. I like it too much as a driver now though haha...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I decided to go Gen V. I will have everything I need for the swap except for the adapter plate. I looked online and have two options it looks like ZZP's option and another selling a similar unit (a couple bucks cheaper but negligible) but says it's better than ZZP's has something to do with the PCV setup. Here's the listing - Any thoughts as which is the better option? I wanna order one asap so I think I am steering towards option #2 not ZZP.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The other one is for your stock Series 2 throttle body, which is only 69mm. This cuts down on the airflow benefit of swapping to the 75mm GenV inlet, if you don't use an LS1/N*/etc. TB.

Also, the PCV is built into the 00-05 N* TB as an external port.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts