3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im very new to the 3800 community, but very experienced in the automotive field. i want to supercharge my 1998 buick lesabre. i know that if i swap the top end i need to rebuild the bottom end with more boost friendly parts. what would be the most reliable way to make this possible? i have looked through many threads and posts on this forum and have not found the info i need. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
im very new to the 3800 community, but very experienced in the automotive field. i want to supercharge my 1998 buick lesabre. i know that if i swap the top end i need to rebuild the bottom end with more boost friendly parts. what would be the most reliable way to make this possible? i have looked through many threads and posts on this forum and have not found the info i need. any help would be appreciated.
Swap the L36 for a L67, and get the 4T65E HD trans along with it, you'll be able to do a lot more modding wise if you go this route, you can top swap it, but you really want that L67's transmission.

There's a good bit of info on this around here if you look, I'd get some links for you, but I am on my phone right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WilliamE, I have a very similar question to 1998buicklesabre's. I have a 2000 Buick Regal GS w/ Supercharger, I am reluctant to get rid of it because it was my first car that I actually paid for. I have done all the work on this vehicle personally, but I was defeated when the fuel lines rusted out, and affected the brake lines as well, then the e-brake connection snapped. I just seen a 1998 Buick LeSaber for sale and it has a seized engine. I am wondering if I can swap the engine from the Regal to the LeSaber?

·
Super Moderator
339 Posts
You can swap it, and will need to have the capability to adjust the computer for the engine/transmission in the LeSabre. It will be a little slower due to weight, and the extra weight will be more abusive to either transmission.

Regardless, find a car you like that's clean underneath, and dig in. I was in the same boat when my 1998 GTP rusted out after a dozen winters as my only vehicle across the snow/salt belt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You DO NOT need to touch the bottom end unless you’re making more than 500whp which you won’t do with a supercharged setup. The L36 bottom end is going to make you more power that the L67 due to the 9.4:1 compression over the 8.8:1 the L67 comes with stock. The HD trans is nice to have but I wouldn’t say it’s required unless you’re going for an all out SC, cam intercooler +++ build and plan to make 350whp or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You DO NOT need to touch the bottom end unless you’re making more than 500whp which you won’t do with a supercharged setup. The L36 bottom end is going to make you more power that the L67 due to the 9.4:1 compression over the 8.8:1 the L67 comes with stock. The HD trans is nice to have but I wouldn’t say it’s required unless you’re going for an all out SC, cam intercooler +++ build and plan to make 350whp or more.
What about my situation? I want to find a vehicle that I can swap my 2000 Buick Regal GS Supercharged engine into. I was looking into a 1998 LeSaber as a candidate, whats your opinion, or your suggestion for a candidate to get this engine?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’d find another regal or w-body because it’ll be far less changes to the swap. I’d look for an Impala or Monte just so that you get the aluminum cradle but that’s IMO. A Lesabre isn’t as weight friendly as the W’s and an impala or Monte SS will have the larger brakes and better suspension from factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’d find another regal or w-body because it’ll be far less changes to the swap. I’d look for an Impala or Monte just so that you get the aluminum cradle but that’s IMO. A Lesabre isn’t as weight friendly as the W’s and an impala or Monte SS will have the larger brakes and better suspension from factory.
I appreciate your response, I am definitely interested in your opinion. I definitely love your two vehicle suggestions. But I'm wondering what year of those models would be compatible with this swap; and also, is a W a wagon?

·
Super Moderator
339 Posts
W is the chassis most of the mid-size GM cars were based on for about 30yrs, starting in 1988 thru the 2000's (extended until the Impala finally changed).

Nice video about most if them:
https://youtu.be/2LGC6WovuyY
He's got 99% of it right, so I appreciate his presentation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your 2000 Regal GS would be a compatible swap with any ‘99-‘05 w-body car and some ‘97 or ‘98’s. Which would include: Impala, Monte Carlo, Regal, Grand Prix, Intrigue, and Century. But the Century is a turd so leave that one out. The Intrigue had two engine choices, a 3.5L and a 3.8L. The 3.5 can be swapped but again there’s likely more that would need doing for the 3.8SC swap than with a 3.8 to start with.
From ‘04+ the Impala and Monte SS’s would have a blower from factory and the HD trans like your Regal but all ‘00-‘05 Imp’s and MC’s have the aluminum cradle and best factory suspension and brakes of that generation. The best looking cars IMO are the high sport MC’s, Grand Prix special editions, and Imps. Regals are cool cuz it’s generally thought of as a elderly persons car.

Avoid cars that were born with 3.4’s because they have lower end factory suspension and I believe bad final gears in the tranny diff (not important if you pull the whole power plant outta the Regal)(which I recommend if it’s in good condition).

With all this said if your Regal only has brake line, fuel line and parking brake issues but the rest of the car is clean working order why not just spend a weekend and repair the lines?? Most tools needEd can be borrowed from part store loan sections, and the lines themselves are relatively cheap for the parts needed to build your own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts