1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
newbie here,
bought a 97 v6 bird a few days ago...been rebuilding it since lol
car is rough, i bought it after the previous owner hugged a light pole while coming out of a roundabout right in the door.
i only have this video, which i took after i got the door, rocker panel and so on mended up.
i'm not sure, i suppose it's pretty much stock beside an aluminum drive shaft and (maybe) an exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQXyUVrQ81U

this is my youtube channel, you'll find my other rig which i s 98 zj and a few more cars...not much honestrly:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6TtHsgUpcylmfI9r6pyCyw

the only pics i have so fare are here
https://www.instagram.com/tommyvercettitorque/

i'll try to pest them up here too for all the guys who don't have an instagram account ;)

any advice/tip is well appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guessing you live in the salt Belt ?

I would seriously consider replacing it with a new diff cover with a drain plug .

In the first photo , why did the gear oil look " frothy " ?

Wyr
God bless

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the comment,

i'll try to look foran aluminum cover (if you have a link i would appreciate it).

no i live in italy, usually no salt on the roads, but this car is coming from northern europe...

the oil in the pic seems worse than what it really was, not sure why though.

a few updates:
-new rear brakes (discs and pads);
-new fuel filter;

- had to adjust and modify a battery terminal...still need a new battery though;

- re-installed my older driver side mirror, i had to mend it pretty hard...at least i won't risk a ticked until i get the one;

- installed the turning signals from my personal grand cherokee stash, insted of the fake vents it had bolted on;

- new tranny fluid

- new coolant...coolant was very bad, puourd out something that looked like muddy water...

- with the help of a zip tie and after bending the rod a few times, not my door is opening with the proper handles both form the inside and from the outside.

also,
i finally found some interiors:

- sun visors, obviously they need to be rebuilt...they look like shi*

-door swithches

-ashtrey

-trunk cover

-some moquette

finally got a cheap mirror too! and a cigarette ligher coming from my jeep parts

I notieced that I have some sponge as an air filter...will open a thread.
240400 km on it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,

sorry for the long time no see, had been too busy with work . just got back from a business trip to Istanbul.

a few updates:

-new tires, stock 215/60/16...

-new windshield with new seals (thanks to my insurance )

...got an older radio as a gift from a friend, need to figure out how to wire it...probably gonna open a thread, and also got a set of 4 JBL speakers from one of my parts jeep. again, will need help on wiring.

also placed an order for, wix air filter, wix oil filter, oil pan plug gaskets , lug nuts and windshield wipers.

242400km on it

after the last car wash my ABS light turned on and ABS itself ain't working now. any suggestions? where should i start looking?

thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Make sure the connections on your fuses and relays are not corroded.

For the radio, go to Crutchfield.com and buy a wiring harness and installation kit for your model. It will make things much easier.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The most common cause of an ABS lite is from a poor or broken wire harness going to the wheel speed sensors. Maybe start there..... On another note, the wire harness going to each wheel sensor has VERY FINE strands of wires. Over the years I have tried soldering them back together. That fix is IFFY at best. Once you isolate the culprit, replace that wire harness and take a close look at the sensor for any damage.

Best of luck, Jake

PS, if you have access to a GOOD SCANNER, you can see each sensor and how it's working by comparing it to the other sensors on the wheels. Once you find the one out of range....replace it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Post some picture of your car. I love F-Bodies. I owned two back in the about 20 years ago. Here a picture of my first one, 1984 Aero Trans-Am, 305 CU, 5-Speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The most common cause of an ABS lite is from a poor or broken wire harness going to the wheel speed sensors. Maybe start there..... On another note, the wire harness going to each wheel sensor has VERY FINE strands of wires. Over the years I have tried soldering them back together. That fix is IFFY at best. Once you isolate the culprit, replace that wire harness and take a close look at the sensor for any damage.

Best of luck, Jake

PS, if you have access to a GOOD SCANNER, you can see each sensor and how it's working by comparing it to the other sensors on the wheels. Once you find the one out of range....replace it.
thanks for the help, i appreciate it.
i have an obd 2 scanner, but i don't think it can do brakes...will check it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Post some picture of your car. I love F-Bodies. I owned two back in the about 20 years ago. Here a picture of my first one, 1984 Aero Trans-Am, 305 CU, 5-Speed.
i always loved 3rd gens, much more cool than 4th gens, but due to "general safety and drivability" i had to go for a 4th gen.
in the future i'd love to lay my hands on a later 80's maro iroc 5 spd.
anyway here a quick video and a few pics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz7R42DD0y0

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks man, just keep in mind that it's your tipical good looking from far, but far from good looking lol

btw, stereo sound id up and running, even if i only had time to install 2 speakers ( one per door).

i installed jbl speakers coming from my parts jeep (yup, maybe i forgot to tell you that i have a v8 ZJ on steroids plus another niner for parts).
radio is coming from a friend of mine truck and wiring from a older computer...
trying to keep the budget down ;)

pics:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts