3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking on ebay and seeing a lot of Buick lacrosse engines and grand prix engines. They are 3800 but i heard that they wont mount into my 1996 firebird. Does anyone know what engines will fit a 1996 firebird, I am not looking to upgrade to a lt1 but will get headers and such when i figure out which 3800 to get. The one i have now is a series 2.

·
Registered
361 Posts
a 3800 II will bolt right in. You'll need engine mounts from a 99-02, and the computer, and all that fun stuff. The 93-97 and 98-02 are the same car, just different body panelling and engine. The frame's the same. Ever notice how from the doors back, they look identical?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
firebird swap

I know another firebird engine will fit, I need to know if a 3800 series engine from like a buick lacrosse or a grand prix will fit.
I heard the 3800s from buicks and grand prixs dont fit into a lacrosse and on ebay they run a lot cheaper than the firebird and camaro 3800s. i was looking at series 3 and i was lookin at a series 2 supercharged one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
the RWD and FWD 3800II are the same engine, just different intakes and accessories. However, the L67 and L36 use the same block, and different LIM, heads, UIM/SC and pistons and rods.

So, you can buy a L36 FWD engine, put RWD computers, trans, intakes and accesories on it, and be good to go.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
the supercharged motor wont "fit" in the firbird without tons of cutting and metal work to the firewall. cuz on the supercharger motor the throttle body faces toward the rear of the motor and the firewall is in the way

·
Registered
361 Posts
depends on your definition of "a few"
You'll have to strip it down to the heads, remove the oilpan, oil filter attachment, heater hoses, coil pack brackets, engine mounts, oil dipstick, P/S pump, A/C pump, accessories, fuel rail, trans, LIM and UIM from your bird, and attach them to the new engine.

So, to me, no, not many.... to others, too big of a hassle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts