3800Pro Forums banner

1994 Twin V6 (3800/3100) modern 442

4K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  schlimthecarguy 
#1 ·
I'm new here at this site, and i wanted to show ya'll Al and I's Modern interpretation of the Olds 442....With Two V6 engines a 3100 V6 in the front and a fully caged rear with the front subframe/3800/Tranz from a 90 Trofeo swapped in. This season she will be going to the track to see what she will run with both engines (NA) and each having to haul only half the weight they originally had to (I will be seeing what my 74 Nova will run with up to 200Hp N2O and new heads-the Turbocharged 400sbc will be ready in another two seasons!). Then over this fall/winter we will be fabbing up a Turbocharger setup for the rear 3800 and converting to MegaSquirt DIY EFI for tuning it.
Early pic of the rear 3800 (def behind the front seats!)

and an early trunk view:

and the fuel system that comprises 60% of the $2000 bux we have in her so far, Aeromotive 100 psi pump and all the associated AN hose etc:

check out more and sign the guestbook at Cardomain:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/94twinengine442
and more here at GM perf tuning:
http://www.gmperformancetuning.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2888
and AllOldsPower
http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/allol...nd_Body_Repair_&action=display&num=1090969830

the 442 is our project (Al owns it-didnt even finish paying it off when we started chopping her up) but my dragcar is a 74 Nova hatchback *******/Lowbuck project--less than $3000 in the whole car, 13.5's at 103+ mph--she will be going much faster this season with a new convertor and a (up to) 200Hp plate N2O kit. more on the Nova here:
http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/alloldspower/index.cgi?board=Other_Rides&action=display&num=1092354033

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I dont think so we got the gray Trofeo from a guy here in Palatine whose wife backed it up into a wall-the car was pretty shot as is with almost all the exterior trim messed up, torn leather seats etc. so 12 hrs later (with the plasma cutter!) we had everything stripped (harness, subframe, strut buckets etc.
she's not pretty but with the rear firewall in you will think it's a giant sub enclosure (hopefully the tech guy will too) from outside she is a total sleeper
this is how she looks as of monday....

Al next to his car, before we put the moddified dash back in:

#5 · (Edited)
cool, i saw some guys throw a tiburon motor in the trunk and made 700 wheel hp to all four wheels and pulled like a 10 sec 1/4 pass on street tires.

his name was mike McIntyre, i searched and searched and cannot find the vid anymore, just topics, sorry

good job and good luck continuing.

#6 ·
here is a twin engine crx
http://www.mothers.com/coolcars/customer-coolcars/customer-coolcars_Txt/Eddies84CRX.html
here is that tiburon:
http://www.gti18t.com/files/turbo_twin_engine_tiburon.wmv
twinstar twin northstar eldorado:
http://formen.ign.com/news/17512.html?fromint=1&submit.x=50&submit.y=11
twin engine delorean:
http://www.gendreaumicro.com/tenpointtwo/11472index.htm
there is also a bimoto audi TT and twin VR6 Vw's and more than a few more out there, i have seen most of em but what got us really going was the twin engine Hurst "Hairy" Olds of the olden days.
regardless we are much lower buck on our job, and should be pretty quick with both engine pulling half the weight they originally had to, then this fall/winter the rear 3800 will be getting turbocharged.
glad your enjoying our project!
regards, James

#7 ·
Very impressive James. How long have you been working on it? I did a complete rebuild on a 70' Nova 350 , .020 O/B. Holley 750 double pumper. Full cam.Took me almost 4 years to complete. Gets expensive doesn't it? Oh, but when your done. Keep us posted on your progress.

#8 · (Edited)
on the 442 me and Al each have like 40 full 8 hour days in it each so far took less than 3 months of weekend work to ge the trofeo stripped and the 3800 rebuilt and put under the back of the 442. a bit longer to get it running and were we are right now (i was in SoCal for 7-8 months helping my Gparents move to TX) but now we are back on track.
The Nova has been a 4 year long trek to where it is now but now i am really having to drop more coin to go faster-the new high comp heads and N2O kit with new 4500 stall convertor.
but the big improvment will be my Turbocharged 400 cid SBC that will be going into it it the future along with backhalving it for the 75 jeep Dana 44 rear end and 4.88 or 5.14 rear gearing with 33x18 inch MT ET drag slicks.
i've got a need fer speed! 13.5's just isnt fast enough!

regards, James

#9 ·
way cool. thanks for the links, maybe i am not search savvy. oh, well. and, again, best of luck.

steve

#10 ·
#11 ·
looks like we will have a couple hours to work on the 442 today!
thanks fo rall the comments guys!
just spent 2 hrs making custom throttle cable ends/adjusters on my drillpress and i am goin to bed, lotta work but at least this final 16ft throttle cableputs the rear 3800 at WOT where we need it, still gotta mess with the progresive part to fine tune it.
well g'nite
James

#12 ·
HOLY SH!T got both engines to WOT, and did a few quick runs up the street!
talk about a beast!

Tomorrow evening, I will be working on getting it edited and hosted for all to see! Tuesday we will be filling up the fuel cell (stalled a couple time cause we are on Empty) and going for a real drive! and hopefully do the 4 wheel burnout!
Two engines=twice the power!....just wait!........soon!.........

James

#14 ·
One $500 Aeromotive 100psi fuel pump regulated to 45-50psi feeding each engine-plus lots of $ in AN fittings and lines, etc.....here:

Regards, James

#15 ·
#16 ·
#18 ·
Well per a suggestion i timed the 0-70mph run from the video i posted.... and using the video editing program, I have 6.25 seconds from the frame just before the launch to the frame he lets off the GO pedal at 70 mph!!!!
this is only a little slower than a 99 Corvette or an 04 Subaru WRX STi!!!!!
and since the corvet ran 13.6 in the 1/4 and the WRX STi ran 13.2 I think it's safe to say we have a 13 second W-body sleeper on our hands with less than $2000 total investment!

not bad fer *******/Lowbuck Hotroddin!

Cant wait to turbocharge the rear 3800!

James

#20 ·
VT Regal said:
:eek:

Wow, the 3100 wont be able to keep up. Whats the 0-60? :cool:
:D lol well then we will have to hurry and get another 3800 for the front and turbocharge it also!

dont know the 0-60 time as Al was supposed to only do that but he said he just couldnt let off! (if i didnt know him any better I would believe him!) he woulda gone as fast as he could--before the stop sign!

maybe we will find out more soon...we really want to finish her up and go to the track!

Thanks! James & Al

#21 ·
#22 ·
It's Jungle Gym tyme!

heheheh Al and I just ordered the new 10 point cage for the 94 Cutlass 442 from JEGS!

GM 1988-96 Grand Prix/Century/Cutlass FWD
550-943104K
10-Point Roll Bar Kit $219.99

10 and 12 point roll cages manufactured from 1-5/8'' x .134-wall mild steel tubing
Includes 6'' x 6'' x 1/8'' mounting plates
Some tube ends in some kits are notched while most tube ends are not notched for a better custom fit in your particular set-up. This ''extra material'' provides you some leeway for a great fit and easier installation.
8, 10, and 12 point cages exceed NHRA and IHRA standards
Complete, easy-to-follow installation instructions included
Welding required (DUH!) hehe!

This is a pic of a 12pt cage our ten pt one doesnt have the top of dash to floor(behind seat) downbars that make the X at the drivers/passengers door......or the fiewall to front subframe bars that are in the pic (waiting fer another 3800 before we go doing that.....

#23 ·
Got some new pics of the 442 getting tons of little things done...
you can def tell it's behind the seats...passenger side view
you can see the front part of the firewall installed...

Al's arm checking the oil...from the drivers seat

The completed dash and rear engine gauges these will be replaced with electric sending unit type and these will be mounted in the trunk opening...

The modified factory tube with a giant K&N I got Al and Amanda as a wedding present...I am practical...LOL

View of the rear 3800 through the trunk opening, new Accel wires, and you can see the Quad 4 injectors on top of the fuel cell, along with a solenoid and a cold start injector. these will be used when we put the Turbocharger on it this winter while converting the top end to SII heads and associated parts.

The New Accel wires (25$) and the DelcoII Ignition module on the 3800 with the factory injector cover on

The New 10 pt Rollcage from Jegs should be here by Friday, then we have some more work to do!
Is any project ever done?!? lol

James & Al

#24 ·
Well....
WOOOOT!!! :thumbsup:

Well Al and I are back and guess what the 442's best time was?
13.81 at just over 98 mph!!!! :shock: :cheers:
just under 3 seconds improvment over the 16.5 BRE time (Before Rear Engine)!!
not bad for a $3000 mod.... :twisted:

had her looking pretty good but didnt have the interior all sorted out the new firewall was owning us till the last minute that we loaded her onto the trailer... :roll:

looks like everyone still thinks we are insane :lol: but we had no problems on the drive from the hotel to the track we pulled strong all the way to 115mph where the 3800 was just shoving the speedlimited 3100 past 108 mph...talk about a unique sound! WOT! :D we were partially deaf by the time we got to the track :mrgreen:
the first run down the 1/4 netted us a 14 second flat pass and the engine's werent going to WOT! looks like it's time for the 5th/6th reincarnation of the rear throttle cable too bad it was so hot out otherwise we would have run a 13.7 fer sure!
Not bad for a stock looking 94 Olds....SLEEPER! :twisted:
Al got called an @sshole by an Impala owner who sid he'd race us...lined up and Al took him by over 4 seconds! :devil: found out later that he evedently he was the only one there who didnt know we had two engine's he just thought we were a loud 3100 :wink: I can only imagine what was going through his mind as Al pulled a 1.9 60 ft and left him behind :lol: right after that run he asked us what we were running...."two engine's" him-> :shock: he thought we were insane too...LOL
We are real glad that we went! we had a blast along the others!
boy though it was definatly a $300 dollar trip but worth every minute of it
13.81!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so who wants to check out the 13 second 442 at the next meet? :mrgreen:

UMM3 (mymonte.com) was a blast! next year a Turbo and other work should let us skip the 12 second club and go straight to the 11's!!!!

will have video and pics up as soon as possible
James, Al, Amanda, and of course the 422!

#26 ·
13.81 @ 98+ mph with 1.9s 60' times..
90+ degrees with 60+% humidity...we coulda gone faster!

Couple of Vids fer ya! thanks to slowmontecarlo on MyMonte.com

at the bottom under the UMM3 vids look for the ridealong with the 442 and the walkaround of the 442...

he used his digital camera on the ridealong-Ok sound...not like youd hear anything other than the two loud V6's! :lol:

I have a vid of a ridealong with a reg camera WITH good sound! just not hosted yet!

http://www.mymonte.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=62371#62371]UMM3 vids 442!

I will post the scans of the slips (plenty consistent with the 1.9s 60' times)

our running total is ~ $10,200 including the purchace price (5K) and cost of full perf front trans rebuild/stall convertor, and the $3000 dual engine conversion (helps that the donor was free eh?)

OK now fer some PICS!!!

BEFORE UM3

AT/AFTER UM3

More coming soon along with vid.... :twisted:
cant wait to see the pics everyone else took of her...
I was too busy to take pics with my crappy digicam but i will capture from the digital8 cam's that we brought with for bottom and top end of the track footage.... :D

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.