3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Buick PA Supercharged 3800. 175000 miles. Last August I noticed the oil pressure at 40 psi while cruising down the highway at 60 mph. At a stop light it was going down to the red zone almost. So I changed the oil and filter and all was good for a month when the water pump went out. Leaking. That was fixed late September. By November the pressure was low again and another oil change was done fixing the low pressure problem. The last few weeks however at times there is smoke coming from in front of the engine and a few days ago from below the water pump. I am replacing coolant quite a bit. When I check the oil and I turn the dipstick at an angle it looks green on the sides of the stick. A green black icycle was hanging below the thermostat housing too the other day. I have heard a few popping sounds while driving lately. The car runs good no overheating what so ever. Just losing coolant and now some smoke burning smells. Solid 195 200 temperature. So I guess the gaskets are shot? Or something worse. 27 year old car is it worth repair? Something I will not attempt.

·
Super Moderator
558 Posts
Sounds like it could use head gaskets and a once-over of the engine before it gets worse.

Up to you, of course, if you want to ride it out until whatever (chancing an issue on the way home when you really need to get on the throne, etc.)... Or if you want to plan ahead to get something for a replacement or have it repaired. Most people here are diving into that work themselves, but I know it's not for everyone.

What's your thoughts beyond what you already shared?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Or could it possibly be the lower intake gasket? I think the symptoms could be similar... and easier to change than a head gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts