3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to take my 1990 Buick Skylark inline 4 2.3L and I would like to take the body and put a series 3 along with everything else being updated

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to take my 1990 Buick Skylark inline 4 2.3L and I would like to take the body and put a series 3 along with everything else being updated
Good luck with that....lol. Probably your only option would be a 2.8 or 3.1 V6. Also understand that the Series 3 is drive-by-wire and would require an accelerator assembly from the donor car plus extensive mods to make it work. We can all dream....lol.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
"Simplest" path is getting a Series 2 or 3 engine, mating it to a 1998-2002 transmission, and running a Series 2 computer and harness (1998-2002 GP pcm's are the most versatile, matching closest to the transmission). For Series 3 engines, you'll want to adapt a 75mm Northstar throttle body (preferably 2000-2005 style) and LS1 or LQ4 MAF sensor, the coolant temp sensor may need to be swapped, if it's 3-wire vs. 2-wire. Axles will be a hybrid combination of your vehicle's outer ends and the 4t65e's inner ends, with axle length determining which will donate the center section, etc.

If the mounts aren't a big issue to adapt, the main work will be the wiring harness packaging and sending the appropriate signals through the firewall. Luckily, most 80's/90's/00's GM cars have similar color schemes and voltage levels expected for dash and such. This will require a wiring diagram of the current car and of the Series 2 engine harness to complete. You'll also want to upgrade the fuel pump and add a thicker harness wire in the process (a Walbro or similar may swap into your tank basket).

This is a typical top-level list of what a basic swap into older GM front-wheel-drive cars (and Fieros) takes, with plenty of little details coming up as you go. I've done it a couple times, and it's always something new for a headache until you're done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts