3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. I got a quick question. I have a 1999 grand prix gt with intake and exhaust mods and im about to get a pcm, so i feel like i need a new theromostat.

But, my question is, should i wait til after winter to put it in? One of my freinds told me that my car will never really warm up during the winter and my heat inside the car will never get very warm. Im curious what, if any, type of experiences people have had with colder thermostats in harsh winter climates ( i live in chicago). Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg

·
Registered
467 Posts
180's fine in the winter...160 not so much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I havent noticed much change other than it takes a few extra minutes before the car heats up nice.

·
Registered
784 Posts
With your car being a GT with mild upgrades just leave your 180 in thru the winter. A 160 has distinct advantages in the hot summer months especially at the track. However, keeping your engine cool in those harsh Chicago winters is usually not a problem,

·
Registered
83 Posts
In upstate NY with a 180 degree themostat last winter. The car never got real hot inside. Not like stock. The air comming out the vents never feals HOT... I don't plan to drive the car much this winter so I am going to leave the 180 in. Otherwise I would change it for the winter. But then I hate the cold....... :)

With the 160 you might as well leave the heat off..... Just gets drafty....

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
361 Posts
I have just driven through Nevada/Utah/Wyoming/Nebraska/Iowa the last three days with my drilled 160T. I won't ever be doing that again! JESUS it was COLD! :eek:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use to run a 180 in my 99 and have one in my 01 and Michigan winters are not the warmest! Never had an issue with heat at all....actually surprised at how well it heated up! Have heard many complaints from MI peeps about 160 being too much for winters.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had a drilled 180 in last year and no problems other than I couldnt make the car 100 degrees inside the cabin. No biggy for me cause i dont liek it very hot when i drive. This year i will have a 160 in and I suspect ill be wearing my jacket in the car in the winter. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I live in Minnesota and I have a 160* T-stat. I currently dont drive it in the winter, but since we have no "snow" yet, i have not found the need or the extra mod $$ to store it yet. I have no problems with the car heating up, actually it blows very warm air... Lately its been about 20* when i wake up at 5am for work, and i'm fine in my car w/o a jacket. Now granted when it hits -20* here i'll probably not be saying all this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 180° drilled stat here in MI. Definately not a "wife-friendly" mod, but it's warm enough for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i run 160* t stat in my car in chicago, and the car takes a litle time to warm up, but it gets warm

besides its only couple of months

·
Registered
28 Posts
2001GTX said:
In upstate NY with a 180 degree themostat last winter. The car never got real hot inside. Not like stock. The air comming out the vents never feals HOT... I don't plan to drive the car much this winter so I am going to leave the 180 in. Otherwise I would change it for the winter. But then I hate the cold....... :)

With the 160 you might as well leave the heat off..... Just gets drafty....

My 2 cents.
As an upstate NY'er, I kept getting a code for coolant too cold. I was sick of the stinking light so I put the 195 back in. My 180 was drilled.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Try an undrilled 180.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im over here in Cleveland and i have a 180 drilled with water wetter and **** like that and slp fan kit (but thats off) and ill drive 1/2 hour and it wont budge past 120degrees. or the first line above the 100 mark on the temp gauge.

takes for ever to warm up too. hehe but i dont get on it hard until i see it past 100degrees

1 - 19 of 19 Posts