3800Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How's everyone's plans look with the event being ~3wks out?

Also, don't have FB, so if there's any required sign-up, please let me know (or I'll have a co-worker check).

I was considering towing the Regal out there with the truck so I could possibly race it somewhere on my return trip, but will probably drive the Regal itself to save the gas money. It'll definitely limit how many things I can buy at the swap meet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm kinda all over the place. The GS Nationals went very well, and I'll make a post about that later. However, I'd be lying if I said that it was a nice trip without AC. If I go, there's a good chance that I'm bringing the GN because I want to cruise around and see the old sites of Buick City. Then again, I don't really want to put the miles on the car since I also had ideas of going to the BCA Nationals in Lisle, IL. I can probably do without bringing a car to that one though.

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dang, I might be inching closer to an AF retirement, but dunno if I am close enough to AARP status for that much Buick crowd immersion! The occasional GN crop is usually tolerable in small doses, especially with variety of owners and modification levels. (Granted, majority of 3800 population usually stays hovering at the 1st-2nd car folks like I started off, and us oddballs who have them into our 30's-40's+ bring a different vibe and approach.)

Ah well, just get out there in whatever capacity you can find, even if it's local (probably more important for repeat acquaintances). I'm going to do my best to get to Michigan, and we can look into coordinating follow-up gatherings down the road. Vehicle-specific events tend to be hard to thrive, if not a universally popular/broad platform, so that's why I'll usually revert back to local crowds until something unique pops up like the 3800 Gathering (I think I heard about it 5yrs ago, but wasn't able to go & forgot until now).

- Dave

·
Registered
844 Posts
kinda worried about the ancient 700r4 from the 89 2.8l firebird thats in the cressida, testing the tcc function today but im thinking the regal may actually be smarter and more likely to complete the trip

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really considering making the trip. Was kind off on the fence until I heard that it may be the last one.

I've never been and would be making the trip from NC solo. Any advice or recommendations? Places to stay, checkout or avoid?

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I called the event hotel listed in the FB listing that's linked in the original post here (many details in there). Rooms are only ~$75 for the 3800 Gathering group, which is pretty cheap right now (better than their AAA rate by ~$20, too). I highly suggest staying there to maximize your ability to participate in all festivities during the 2-3 days there.

It's in a decent area in the northern Detroit suburbs and right by the Oakland mall (many of my friends from the Motor City Club Grand Prix days lived around there in the early-mid 2000's). The trip to the park will take about 40min Saturday AM, but many will be heading up I-75 together. I'd look up random sites you may be interested in during your trip, as fun checkpoints along the way, and maybe ask folks at the gathering what'd be cool to see and maybe do photo shoots in front of while there.

I've booked a room today, so I know they're still available, although gas would be another $300-ish for the round trip from Omaha... I'll see how the coming week goes, but I have the time-off from work already, so momentum is still in favor of going.

- Dave

·
Administrator
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My 1,800mi round trip won't be happening now, sadly, otherwise I'd gladly offer my grill lighter.

Hope everyone has fun, and be sure to share pics/vids, so there's continued interest for something in the future. I know ZZP still hosts a 3800 dyno day, and there's various other shows and racing events around the country.

·
Registered
148 Posts
lol That was really confusing me for a minute. Shoot if you'll be there, I'll put one of those bellhousings in the trunk. Is that the only thing you needed in terms of T5 stuff? I have an 94-95 S10 4-cyl bell too which is essentially the same thing as the F-body bell without the tilt. I don't think I need anything right now. I'm interested in ported heads with machined guides, but that's a bit more than I'm willing to spend at the moment.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts