3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Seven Lakes State Park - Holly, MI
Saturday, June 18th, 2022 (w/ Thurs/Fri lead-up hangouts)

• 3800's & LS4's in many forms
  • W-body cars of all flavors, G/H's too
  • Holden cars (GTO, G8, Caprice, SS, etc.)
  • Grand Nationals
  • and other vehicles from this community

Plant Map Nature Terrestrial plant Tree

Just south of Flint, historical home of the GM 3.8L V6 factory that made 3800's, GN 3.8's, and more.

Car Cloud Wheel Tire Vehicle

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sounds like this may be one of the last major 3800 events unless something new develops. These gatherings in the ClubGP days of the early 2000's generated this community and encouraged aftermarket parts to develop for 3800 cars... Grand Prix Gatherings, Intense Drag Days, Michigan Grudge Match, and various local club events like Twin Cities Gatherings and such... ZZP Dyno Days might be the only lingering event if we don't show continued interest to folks able to plan/promote and keep the real community active.

I'm already planning on attending, and will try to make sure nothing at work will conflict that week. I used to live, work, study (barely), and modify my GTP in the Flint/Detroit area from ~2002-2007, and look forward to seeing anyone able to make it out, new and old faces. I haven't been to this exact show before, but I'm sure it'll have the same vibe I remember from the good ole days.

- Dave

Reactions: Quick86

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nevermind. I was able to read up on it easier in the app. For some reason the link formatted everything wierd. Now do I bring the GN for a good chance at getting an award or the Camaro because it's actual 3800 power? 🤔

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Up to you. I decided to keep the turbo on the Regal for a bit longer, because I was about to tinker with the MP112, but the Holden setup will be more unique for people to check out (and sounds way cooler).

·
Registered
21 Posts
We need to bring a meet like this to
So-Cal. Maybe an All American Meet. There's so many Alpha, G, W, F bodies, you name it, it's out here. CTS-V, El Caminos, chevelle, G8, SS with Holden badges, GNX, 'vettes. Since it's So-Cal, these cars are out everyday of the year. So many import get-togethers. The Corvette clubs do the Rim-of-the-World cruise from the I.E. to Big Bear. Maybe one day.

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I think people are eager to attend things again. That's basically what my goal was during the shutdown overhaul of the Regal. Keep your eyes open, hit some generic meets/shows/rallys and B.S. with the folks who seem like they're not just dusting their garage queens off to win a trophy 2-3x/yr.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ya, I think people are eager to attend things again. That's basically what my goal was during the shutdown overhaul of the Regal. Keep your eyes open, hit some generic meets/shows/rallys and B.S. with the folks who seem like they're not just dusting their garage queens off to win a trophy 2-3x/yr.
YEP!! I agree, and I want to rant about it.

Me and my buddy like going to cruise nights and stuff, but most of them are packed full of snobby d***heads. You know... the kind that think the shiny Nova they paid too much for and put poorly fitting torque thrusts on is the best damn thing on god's green earth? A few spots away might be the kid who spent all of dad's money having a shop install a cam for him in his otherwise stock C6 Vette. None o these guy ever want to talk to people that they didn't come with (why even show up?) or they want to ramble on and on about their garbage without ever letting the other person get a word in. It was incredibly rare if anybody ever asked us anything about our cars which we actually worked pretty dang hard on. It takes two to tango, ya know?

So we both recently got our cars in order and decided to start going to the the little disorganized tuner meets. Anyway, is there a lot of garbage these little pop-up meets? Yeah, but there is also enough cool stuff to keep us entertained too. The more important part is that the people there are so much more friendly and less pretentious. Sure, it helps to have something cool to talk about, but if you actually have a passion for cars and don't act like you're the next Chip Foose we can hang. It helps to be respectful to the parking lot owners too. Burnouts on the street are getting to be very frowned upon. We all want to do it, but is it worth getting kicked out of a place and making the whole car community look bad?

I guess my point is that there's a big toxic car culture out there. I love cars, but it's the people I meet there that keep me coming or staying away from certain events.

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, that's the long-form version of what I was getting at. For 3800 cars, we fall in a lower budget realm of enthusiasts. This means most modding will be a huge % of someone's spare money, and most will put in the wrench time themselves. That usually means more of our heart is in whatever we did to our cars, because it was a larger expense for us, per capita.

I've even learned to appreciate the rarer 3800 guys who get things installed, too, since I got tons of spending cash and experience I couldn't get on my own, by helping out over the years. These were common daily drivers for most, and not everyone has the tools, talents, and time to dig into them. Some guys who could spare enough to get bolt-ons or more installed decided to keep this car and do it, which helped drive places like ZZP to invest in more products to offer all of us in the end.

In the end, people will always span the range of a guy driving a beater to an exotic, and people in either one can be cool or not. Just be chatty with whoever is cool, and appreciate the $20 or $20k someone is able to put into their setup. You may even find yourself talking about interesting stuff that has zero to do with what's parked there, and wind up getting a friend out of the deal, or network with some professional or community services that benefit you both down the road.

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True that... If you are lucky enough to keep a 3800 car in good condition, especially up north, it's now a unique ride (typically requires hibernating in the winter).

I think my 4t65 is also the most expensive single thing on the car, with maybe turbo kit next. Granted, those things probably surpass the value of the car itself, already, before counting engine parts, suspension, etc. (I should probably update my insurance policy to reflect this...)

·
Registered
839 Posts
3.5 more years and i can register it as a classic

same on the trans

not many have as much into suspension as i do in Heavykevy's flaming ghey regal

who else you know of make a roll center adjustable lower ball joint/monoball and front and rear caster/camber adjust plates

i made the front RAT bar billet stainless heim joint sway links.

been looking at new LCA outters that would let me put the Hyper strut setup under the TR and a local screw supercharged riviera.

dunno if ill chance the TR but i may drive out the cressida WaGN

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang, ya no desire to strap that much onto these tinfoil chassis. Just tossed STB's with plates and coilovers on to cut down the "Buick" mush ride, is all. Still gotta get some tasteful-looking race seats in there if I decide to cage it for track events like RMRW (may not go that far, or dial back to 12.0).

The good thing will be if people are still attending the gathering in numbers, future ones should still have potential, even if it's run by a new crowd. No idea who runs this one, but they weren't active back when I was there and getting out to everything possible, working on cars with the Motor City club, or helping Kalo get his Impala ready for MattM to send it into the 10's. Hopefully, that means a fresh group has grown organically to carry the torch, and I will enjoy going to whatever I can get out to.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

·
Registered
839 Posts
im gonna try to waterjet at least one more 1" billet aluminum 65e case brace....i figure ill be able to sell enough stuff to cover the trip....probably have to sleep in the wagon to protect it as the stuff would be worth more than the cressida

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Public Storage is only $1 for the first month, if you can find one close to a hotel (I think they figure you'll wind up staying, cuz people load them and get used to having it/forgetting to cancel). Parked the Regal in one for just 2mo while waiting to close on my house this spring, and only cost me for the 2nd month.

·
Registered
839 Posts
finally bought a dorman pigtail for my 89 2.8v6 F body 700r4 and now the cressida should have TCC lockup for the damned drive ..i talked to fat kevin (heavykevy) and he agree's i should take some stuff for sale....maybe the buyer for the GMR 1200hp IS/OPD/billet converter/1inch alum case brace will be there. at the least maybe i can unload my ultraleggara's and pay for the trips fuel

·
Administrator
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jeez, cool part but limited customers, I'd imagine. Of course, there's always been guys who'd get built trans's with GMR goodies for their 3.4 pulley and 1.9 rocker cars. Guess you gotta be safe on the hunt for 13's, too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
ive been continuing with my work on the W body subframe 4t80e mounts and ive mapped out a buncha stuff imma do to the 80e that are primary complaints of the "stock" nvh skewed 4t80e so old farts dont complain about harsh shifts.....lotta NVH stuff has to go to the wayside....an entire 2-3 accumulator control valves circuit exists to specifically ease the 2-3 shift and keep it soft.

i figure there's probably someone with a 65e that doesnt want to lose their torsen/quaife the 1" aluminum plate pan spacer/case stiffener is worth its weight in gold

1 - 20 of 20 Posts