3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find it hard to believe that this is the first thread, although this site was set up with w-bodies in mind...

i am just a little curious as to what setups the RWD guys (i guess fiero swap guys can't really chime in) are running.

i'm running the stock housing with a torsen diff, gm 3.73s, and a t/a stud girdle. i am having a HELL of a time keeping quiet bearings in this thing and wondered if anybody else has experienced a similar problem.

i don't think the problem is launching too hard as the V8 guys have been cutting 1.8s and V6 guys have been putting hundreds of passes on their totally stock rears. i'm just totally fed up with it and need a lead on places to start.

·
Registered
174 Posts
why do people put the trans am stud girdle, what makes that better than the camaro's, I thought the two cars where the same just, diff bodies on them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TA is the name of the manufacturer. it's not a takeoff piece.

you are right in saying that both cars have the same diff cover, however, the stock one is stamped steel. TA's version is milled and heat treated... supposedly it helps the rear end housing keep its geometry but i just bought it because it preloads your bearing caps.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Who does the setup on the rear end? Is it possible the preload is incorrect?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had my gears done by a professional, but everything else was done by me. i torqued the TA preload bolts according to their spec.

i suspect that i just bought a bad bearing or two, but i bought what were recommended to me (timken) by the shop that did my gears. it's a constant ratcheting noise that is a function of vehicle speed. there are just so damn many bearings back there, i have no clue which it could be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what gears and brand are u using? the preload may be the problem. but hardlaunches will kill a 10 bolt. what torque convertor and str do u have.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm using GM original 3.73s out of an S10.

i don't have a torque convertor... is that the problem? :D

car is a manual with a centerforce dual friction and other mods listed in my sig. i don't think i'm launching hard enough to really hurt it as V8s have been cutting 1.8s without too much trouble... i could have just gotten a lemon rear end i suppose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dunno man, maybe look into another shop?

I run a stock GM 10 bolt
power trax locker diff
GM 3:23's
T/A girdle and stud kit
stock axles

Before the locker diff I was running the cheapie GM LSD units.

Look into another shop maybe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i'm thinking i might have another guy rebuild the next one. i can't tell which bearings are bad right now, but i'm guessing either carrier or wheel, since the pinion bearing was JUST replaced not even 2,000 miles ago.

i might also snag a free rear end from a friend who is going to give it to me if i just get it out of his yard... but that means going back to 3.23s temporarily :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Either you got whiney gears. Richmond is known for whiney gears or you don't have them setup right. I'm glad he calls himself a professional. What do I call myself when I installed 2 sets of quiet gears in my car and that includes 4.10s. I had a professional install my first set. Loud as hell. It's not bearings, it's the setup. Bearing don't whine. Find someone else to do them for you. This set will whine forever now since it's broken in like that.

TA girdle is completely worthless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you read my post, you saw that i have 3.73s from GM and they are very quiet.

the noise isn't a whine, whir, roar, or anything else like that; it's a distinct ratcheting noise (just like your 3/8 drive) that started when i had factory-setup 3.23s. it may not be the bearings, but i know for a fact it isn't the gears.

thanks anyway for your opinions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dom said:
Maybe your pinion wasn't tightened enough and now there is play.
i ran through a lot of scenarios, but i am almost certain that this doesn't have anything to do with the gear install, seeing as how it started before i even considered a new set of gears. i had been wanting 3.73s for a long time, and then the clicking noise (again, exactly like a ratchet) started after i installed my clutch.

when the old gears came out, the mechanic said that they looked like they were installed a touch deep from the factory. they made no noise other than the clicking.

it would seem to me that if the pinion was out of adjustment, there would be metal all over the place in the diff housing, but last time i changed the fluid (2 weeks ago) it was clean as a whistle. there is also no moaning or grinding, which to me would indicate wrong backlash, etc.

the noise is definitely coming from the rear, right around the pumpkin, but in this cooler weather it seems to have diminished.

as i said, i have no clue where to go next, other than a full rebuild. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
One time I didn't tighten the pinion enough. There was whine, but no clicking like you described. If the clicking happened before the gear change, then maybe it's your posi going out? Did you replace the posi during gear change?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nope. i installed the posi in february, clutch around april, clicking started, gears went in towards the end of june. i suppose that could be it.

it's the torsen-type out of a V8 car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes. it operates correctly.

the cold weather phenomenon held up this morning, as it barely made any noise on the way to work. i think it was in the 40s here last night, and it's only supposed to be in the high 30s tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it started about 200 miles after the clutch was installed. i finally thought the car was sorted, then i just barely heard it leaving the driveway.

it never got any better or worse, but i had heard the noise before and it ended up being a pinion bearing. instead of just replacing that i ordered the gears, crush collar, pinion bearings, etc. and had them set up. it never really went away.

i don't recall what weight is in there now, but it is a gear weight. i might try something heavier to see what that does.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is two parts to the pinion bearing. The part on the pinion, which you replaced and the part that stays in the rear end, which probably remained. I got my own rear end to fix. Blew my Auburn and Torsen is coming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts