3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 1.9 rockers to much for the stock valve springs to handle? If so, would I be better off going with the SLP 1.8's with the stock springs? The reason I ask is because I would like to do the Rockers myself, I would rather not have to replace the springs if I could help it.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
My understanding is you should install higher rate springs with any lift increase. Without an aftermarket PCM, you might get away with stock springs, but you'll have to watch out for float.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldnt use 1.9 rockers with stock springs. Might be just my luck but I did and ended up having to replace a piston. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMHO, If you're going to bother upgrading the rockers, might as well do springs, retainers, OR / lightweight pushrods, and valve seals while you're there. A little more expensive but I'm sure we have all spent more, on a lot less

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes you should replace the springs if you have funds to do so. It is better to take the extra hour or so to do it rather than not. If you are going to be doing rockers I would suggest the 1.9 and not SLP as the 1.9 produce more power than SLP.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
photogtp said:
Yes you should replace the springs if you have funds to do so. It is better to take the extra hour or so to do it rather than not. If you are going to be doing rockers I would suggest the 1.9 and not SLP as the 1.9 produce more power than SLP.
Well, that makes sense as the SLP's are 1.8.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had the 1.9's on my car for about 6 months now and i havent had a problem with them. The car runs very stong on the top end. The car has 89k on it and about 7k are with the rockers. Stock springs seem to do the trick for now, but im sure a year down the road or so ill have to change them.

·
Registered
847 Posts
NEVER EVER!by any means, and I mean it! use stock springs with any high lift rockers. You will regret it and hope that you had toke this advice I`m now giving you!
Please, I beg you not to do so! use at least 90lbs(LS6).

·
Registered
347 Posts
And why is that? They seem to work just fine... :confused:

·
Registered
565 Posts
There have been a good number of stock springs break using 1.9 rockers, causing the valve to drop, which usually causes the need for an engine rebuild...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am using 30k stock springs with my 1.9s...no problems yet...I shift right at 6k...seems to be okay...but when it breaks its no warning!!! so i am gonna put ls6's on it soon...i have them but just didn't wanna get into that then...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts