3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 05 Monte LT, its stock. I plan to do a top swap this fall. i need to know if i will run into any problems with it being an 05 L36. i have read some where that it is kind of a mutt in the sense that it has L27 internals, also all the top swap kits and pcms don't seem to go threw the 05 model year. i have started to assemble the peaces iv got the heads, intake, and harmonic balancer off a 2000 L67 and want to be sure it can be done before i invest any more than the 70 bucks i have into that. any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
everything that you can put onto a L67 you can put onto your L36.

and your L36 has L36 internals.

your best bet is to plan on buying a Tuner, or find someone local that has one and can tune the car. I recently did a SSM90 kit on a 03 MC SS and the tune that was included barely ran the car. I have been tuning it for the past 2 weeks and its finally running how it should

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yea ditto i did my top swap on a 03 monte ss and the zzp pcm wouldnt even start the car so finding someone who really knows how to tune is a giant help
and good luck with the swap i had a blast with it lol and it is so worth it when your done
josh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
and your L36 has L36 internals.
Do u know that cuz a duck is a duck or have u looked in to it or maybe u know some one who has done a top swap on an 05 Monte Carlo? they made the L27 in 04 for the GP and the story goes that they used the same bottom end on both of them for the 2 remaining years that the L36 was still in use by the Monte. the L27 uses powdered metal pistons and rods instead of the cast that yer car has. makes lots of sense to me. im sorry thats the L26 haha

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
and a Duck goes quack....

you are confusing the L27 with the L26. THe L27 is the series 1 Motor and produced 170 HP from 92-94

In 04+ the GP and some of the Buicks got the L26, they are said to have better heads (larger valves) and the powered metal rods. Its possible that your L36 has the newer parts, but i would doubt it because GM was using the old stock of the L36, and leaving the S3 L26 to everybody but Chevy (MC and Impala)

and i have some experience i just did a SSM90 kit on a 03 MCSS. its exactly what your trying to accomplish minus the heads, balancer and tensioner assembly. Its not my first time bulding/rebuilding/modding/remodding a 3800

1 - 5 of 5 Posts