3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started having this problem today. My water temp jumped to 220-230 from a normally stable 190-195. I pull over and listen under the hood and there is a hissing sound. It is coming from the water pump/ tensioner pulley area on the left side of the engine. I replaced the water pump last year so I ruled that out. Some digging made me think it was the elbows. So I bought new aluminum ones and when I took off the bracket the plastic elbows were both cracked. So I put the new ones in and started her up. A few laps around the block and we are back to 220-230. I believe it would've gone higher but I got back and shut her off. No leaks like before, no hissing, so now I am at a loss. The new elbows seem to have worked but I have no idea why this would be occurring. There is bubbling as if the coolant is boiling, no heat from vents so I think coolant isn't getting to the heater core. Radiator hose leading to the thermostat is hot. Not sure what other symptoms I could add here. Let me know which direction to go.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So I started having this problem today. My water temp jumped to 220-230 from a normally stable 190-195. I pull over and listen under the hood and there is a hissing sound. It is coming from the water pump/ tensioner pulley area on the left side of the engine. I replaced the water pump last year so I ruled that out. Some digging made me think it was the elbows. So I bought new aluminum ones and when I took off the bracket the plastic elbows were both cracked. So I put the new ones in and started her up. A few laps around the block and we are back to 220-230. I believe it would've gone higher but I got back and shut her off. No leaks like before, no hissing, so now I am at a loss. The new elbows seem to have worked but I have no idea why this would be occurring. There is bubbling as if the coolant is boiling, no heat from vents so I think coolant isn't getting to the heater core. Radiator hose leading to the thermostat is hot. Not sure what other symptoms I could add here. Let me know which direction to go.
Thanks
The way you describe what's going on sounds like the cooling system isn't completely filled. If I were you, I would pull the thermostat and then fill the cooling system until the thermostat opening is full to the top. It would also be a good thing to open up the heater hoses(one at a time) just to be sure they too are also FULL to be sure the cooling system is FULL. Doing it this way should not leave any AIR POCKETS in the cooling system. Hope some of this helps, Jake (mr goodwrench). Take care, Jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way you describe what's going on sounds like the cooling system isn't completely filled. If I were you, I would pull the thermostat and then fill the cooling system until the thermostat opening is full to the top. It would also be a good thing to open up the heater hoses(one at a time) just to be sure they too are also FULL to be sure the cooling system is FULL. Doing it this way should not leave any AIR POCKETS in the cooling system. Hope some of this helps, Jake (mr goodwrench). Take care, Jake
Yeah, about 5 minutes after posting I realized I forgot to bleed the system. Bleeder valve open, heat full blast, engine running at temp: she took another gallon and a half of coolant. Now running and idling at 190-195F. With how badly damaged those elbows were I am not surprised how empty it got now that I think about it. Thanks for the reply either way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts