3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Solved the problem. Got a bad spark plug. Put old plug back in that cylinder, car runs great ! Someone told me to do that on a diff. forum and I find it so UNBELIEVABLE that a spark plug (new) could be bad.. BUT... I did it for giggles and because it wouldn't cost me anything.. AND IT WORKED. bad plug. sunnnovaaB

Hey folks,

Scratching my head over a misfire issue on my 01 Park Ave Ultra.

I'm getting a code for Misfire Cyl 2, so at least I know where it is.

The car sat / was minimally used for a while. Since January 2010 I think it's only had 2000 or 3000 miles put on it.

Anyway, I had bought it originally for my grandmother, and when she passed on she had left it back to me.. and when my girlfriend's car was totaled I needed to get her in something so I put this back on the road February 19th.

Maybe I should just follow the "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" rule and I'd be fine.. but I couldn't resist.

I started changing things and then got this misfire code. It misfires only under hard acceleration.

Car has roughly 149k miles on it.

First day back on the road after it sat for 3+ months, I changed battery (deka), air filter (mann), plugs (ngk v-power), wires (delco). Also added can of BG 44K. Put in new front sway bar links (moog polyurethane), changed front leaky valve cover gasket (fel-pro) and grommets, AND changed the oil out for some Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage w/ a nice shiny new filter (mann).

-- THEN i got my Misfire --

Since then I changed fuel filter, coil pack for the problem cylinder, had a rotted piece of exhaust between cat and resonator repaired, and while re-checking the plugs and wires broke the #6 wire and thank goodness I found the old ones in the bottom of the dumpster. Also replaced faulty thermostat (stant super premium 195°F) and old radiator cap (stant).

I'm thinking perhaps I leaned on an injector? Seems doubtful tho? Not sure what this could be, looking for help in how to narrow it down.

People on other forums have said (not to me but to others with similar issue) to unplug MAF and see, to do compression test, to check injector with noid light, and MOST of them have said its a plug/wire issue -- but I've already changed mine. Some have also mentioned front oxygen sensor (this one was replaced in 2010 but only has about 3k on it).

So what do you folks suggest? I think the first thing I would like to do is check the fuel pressure on that cylinder... now I have a reader (Autel AutoLink AL319) and Torque app for Droid w/ bluetooth OBDII dongle), but I'm not sure what I'm looking for (added a fuel pressure gauge to torque pro app but it reads nothing). I don't think its going to be an internal engine issue, being this all started after I began screwing with stuff.

As always help appreciated & thanks for reading !

-Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Swap plug wires for a cylinder beside it.

See I the code moves.

No? Swap plugs. See if it moves to another cylinder.

Still no? Swap the injectors for another hole. See if It moved.

No?

Time to dig deeper. Compression check on #2. If it don't have sufficient compression, wet test it with a little oil. Still nothing?

Dig even deeper. Valve not sealing? broken spring? Chipped piston?

EDIT: Solved the problem. Got a bad spark plug. Put old plug back in that cylinder, car runs great ! Someone told me to do that on a diff. forum and I find it so UNBELIEVABLE that a spark plug (new) could be bad.. BUT... I did it for giggles and because it wouldn't cost me anything.. AND IT WORKED. bad plug. sunnnovaaB

Hey folks,

Scratching my head over a misfire issue on my 01 Park Ave Ultra.

I'm getting a code for Misfire Cyl 2, so at least I know where it is.

The car sat / was minimally used for a while. Since January 2010 I think it's only had 2000 or 3000 miles put on it.

Anyway, I had bought it originally for my grandmother, and when she passed on she had left it back to me.. and when my girlfriend's car was totaled I needed to get her in something so I put this back on the road February 19th.

Maybe I should just follow the "IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" rule and I'd be fine.. but I couldn't resist.

I started changing things and then got this misfire code. It misfires only under hard acceleration.

Car has roughly 149k miles on it.

First day back on the road after it sat for 3+ months, I changed battery (deka), air filter (mann), plugs (ngk v-power), wires (delco). Also added can of BG 44K. Put in new front sway bar links (moog polyurethane), changed front leaky valve cover gasket (fel-pro) and grommets, AND changed the oil out for some Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage w/ a nice shiny new filter (mann).

-- THEN i got my Misfire --

Since then I changed fuel filter, coil pack for the problem cylinder, had a rotted piece of exhaust between cat and resonator repaired, and while re-checking the plugs and wires broke the #6 wire and thank goodness I found the old ones in the bottom of the dumpster. Also replaced faulty thermostat (stant super premium 195°F) and old radiator cap (stant).

I'm thinking perhaps I leaned on an injector? Seems doubtful tho? Not sure what this could be, looking for help in how to narrow it down.

People on other forums have said (not to me but to others with similar issue) to unplug MAF and see, to do compression test, to check injector with noid light, and MOST of them have said its a plug/wire issue -- but I've already changed mine. Some have also mentioned front oxygen sensor (this one was replaced in 2010 but only has about 3k on it).

So what do you folks suggest? I think the first thing I would like to do is check the fuel pressure on that cylinder... now I have a reader (Autel AutoLink AL319) and Torque app for Droid w/ bluetooth OBDII dongle), but I'm not sure what I'm looking for (added a fuel pressure gauge to torque pro app but it reads nothing). I don't think its going to be an internal engine issue, being this all started after I began screwing with stuff.

As always help appreciated & thanks for reading !

-Pete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts