3800Pro Forums banner

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BillBoost37 
#1 ·
I need to replace the valve cover gaskets on my '97 Bonneville SSEi. Should be a simple job. I've got the GM factory service manual. The "Left Side [front] Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement" section shows the bolt locations, but does not describe how to remove the plastic spark wire harness that covers the two center bolts and runs the length of the valve cover. I can't locate any connectors to remove it anywhere. Anyone know how to do this??? :icon_redf

#2 ·
Hi.. Nice year.;)

On a cool engine put both arms out palm up. With palms facing the engine put your hands down and feel your way down the plastic holder. It will have two parts that protrude lower than the rest. Gently pull them away and up. They are small clips on the end of the plastic that hold onto the valve cover.

If this is your first time, allow extra time for the back cover. It's a fun one if you've never done it before. Now being more proficient on the motor, it would take me almost no time.

#3 ·
If it's been together for a while, the clips will most likely break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.